Thursday, May 10, 2007

Flowers on mother's day

I read a quote recently that said,

" Thank you for asking, I am a mother; I just don't have any children yet"

I thought this was a great quote. Women who suffer through miscarriages or IF are mothers at heart, we just haven't been given a child to mother yet!

Mother's day, as you can imagine, can be a very tough holiday for those who've had M/C or IF. So many women are praised and adorned right in front of us (at church for example) while we sit back wishing so badly for what they're praised for. Many women even feel shame for not being able to step up and be apart of that group. While I don't struggle with shame, I do feel the sense of loss. I'm grieving a child that doesn't even exist.

So I emailed my associate pastor at church and informed him I would be sending over a boquet of tulips for the front of the church. I asked him is when they made the mother's day speech (ask women to stand and be applauded etc), if they would mention that the flowers in the front are for women who have suffered m/c or are going through IF. For they are mothers at heart.

I am very excited about this idea and I hope it will spur them to continue to do it from years on out. Hopefully next mother's day I will have a child of my own, or at least be close! But for now, this is for the women in my church who feel like me. (oh and by the way, we won't be at church on mother's day, we're doing the walk for the cure... so no selfish intentions here!! I'm tired of feeling selfish, so this feels good!)

I posted this idea on my nest board and low and behold, four other women got on the ball and emailed their pastors as well. What a great way to share God's word. The internet! :-)

Well that's it, I just wanted to share that this mother's day would hopefully be slightly less painful for many women in my church and other churches around (I plan on hounding my dad to do the same at his church!).

No comments: