Tuesday, May 06, 2008

11 weeks!

I'm feeling great! My exhaustion is starting to lessen, I made it to bed at 9 and 10 all week (vs 7 or 8) and other than my constant aversion to coffee (SAD!), I don't have any kind of m/s in site!! I should be getting the doppler I rented today I can't wait to hear the heartbeat again :-)




In other news, I should explain the whole deliver thought a bit further. If Joey delivered the baby he would still be my coach through the whole labor. He would only be down there for the push and catch ;-) And we would still have the regular OB there in case of many things, but Joey would actually do the "Catch", assuming all goes smoothly. I know many husband's who aren't dr's have done this. Mine also happens to be one so it even makes more sense for us to consider it!

We'll see. I saw my sister push out a baby (almost caused me to quit IVF! haha) and there wasn't anybody by her head, her hubby was down there watching.... and she looked as fine as she could be (which wasn't very fine at all! eek!! maybe I shouldn't have watched it...).

But we'll see, we still have lots of time to discuss it, it was just making an appt with a new OB that got me thinking about it!

But I am surprised that more people think he shouldn't than should!

14 comments:

Mary said...

I think he should, frankly. My dad delivered me once we got past the scary part where my head was stuck in the birth canal...and actualy, my mother helped deliver my brother...reached down herself and pulled him out the rest of the way after his head was out. My father and I couldn't be closer, and I think part of it is that he held me first, before anyone else.

But honestly, you should do what feels right for you two. My DH would pass out if he were down there, frankly. I'm hoping my mother - an RN with years of NICU experience - will deliver my first.

Christy_jebsgirl said...

Week 11: Lime
Average size: 1.6 in, .25 oz

Your fetus currently enjoys a 1:1 ratio between body and head, and has skin so transparent that blood vessels show right through. But, fingers and toes are no longer webbed, and hair follicles, tooth buds and nail beds are forming -- setting up a significantly more attractive future.

Jason said...

As a guy, I think it would be amazing to be able to deliver your own baby. As long as he is still able to be your coach and is able to be near to you, I say GO FOR IT!

Jill said...

YEA for 11 weeks!!! That's great! I'm so happy for you!

shannonjason said...

Congrats on the 11 weeks!! WOO HOO!

Erin said...

I think its great that your husband would do it. I brought up the idea of the Bradley method with my husband, and told me he thought it was "unnecessary". I am hoping he didn't quite understand what the Bradley method really meant.

LanY said...

Your 11 week baby bump looks soo cute!! Have fun with the doppler.

I think Joey should deliver the baby. It will be so special. Does he want to?

The Gustafsons said...

super cute baby bump!

momof3 said...

I think you should do what ever works for you at the moment. Maybe you'll have a super hard delivery and you'll need to hold on to him for dear life or maybe you'll have a nice easy epidural delivery and you won't need him holding your hand at all:) We had one scary delivery so that one Brian had to be by my head but the other time Brian was watching it he wasn't even by me and I didn't care! I think that'd be a great memory if Joey could deliver.

L said...

When I was pushing the baby out, I had no idea where my husband was. I think he was passed out in a corner :) I don't blame him though and there's nothing he could have done anyway if he'd been next to me. Once the baby is coming, the "coaching" bit is over in my view...

Mae said...

I love the bump AND the idea.

Frankly I think it's romantic. It's also very.... you and Joey. Does that make sense?

Rich Angie said...

I kinda think it depends on what medical interventions you plan on using. I had an epidural and kept telling my DH to go and look at the head and such but he insisted being at my side. If you plan on going au naturale, you may NEED him by your side. I plan to catch my next one!

Unknown said...

Josh caught Ian and it was so neat! He sometimes brags to his friends about it. He coached, supported, and encouraged me the entire labor, was at my side holding my hand as he watched Ian's head come out (I'll never forget the awe on his face at that moment), then he let go of my hand, caught Ian, and put him up on my chest while announcing "It's a BOY!!!" Best moment of both of our lives and my only regret is that we didn't have someone there taking pictures. I didn't feel alone or unsupported AT ALL while he was catching Ian, besides, it was only for a minute and he was only like 3 feet away from my head so it's not like he wasn't there. I think it made our birth experience so much more personal (and non-medical - birth is natural and doesn't have to be medicalized) than having a doctor hand you your baby. JMHO! I'm so excited for you and know that your birth will be incredible either way!!! ~Molly

Jen said...

hey! I just thought of something. You may still be shy of the 2nd tri mark, but you are over a quarter of the way to 40 weeks! Yay!