I assumed I was fertile.
We all start out that way unless we know ahead of time we're going to have a problem. I felt elated for every single person who got pregnant, or gave birth, or had children. I rejoiced with them and it never affected me. We even worried at one point that had we gotten pg on "accident" what that would do to our friendship with our infertile friends (we laugh about that now).
I never use the term fertile in an offensive way because it's simply a way to distinguish between those who deal with infertility and those who don't. At one point I assumed I was fertile, and that wasn't a bad thing, that's just the way it was (or I assumed it was).
Being infertile myself I don't equate being fertile with perfection and ease. I would never assume such a thing. I'm very aware that people who get pregnant easily may have to deal with a whole ruckus of other things. Things I might never have to deal with.
My SIL had a m/c right as we started TTC. It was horrible and as I watched her go through it and try to come to terms with what she had lost, I mourned deeply for her. I still lump her in the "fertile" category. But that doesn't mean things came easy for her.
My cousin had a terrible pregnancy, for weeks and weeks she gushed blood and worried she would lose her child. Then she ended up on bed rest in her second trimester and had a few scares even after her son was born. I hope she never has to deal with those things again, and I'm lucky to not have had some of those things happen to me. Did she get pregnant easily? Yes. But that doesn't change what she went through.
For us, we assumed we were fertile, and then one day things changed. The day I realized we would have a problem. The day I knew it wasn't going to happen for us the way I thought it would, or it did for everyone around us.
My happiness for others didn't disappear, it just became more of a process to get to.
I often want to kick myself after talking so casually about my mom in front of my SIL's because they lost their mom. I know they know I have a mom, and they know I love her (and they love her too), but I wonder if their heart stings in a way it wouldn't if I hadn't brought her up. I hate wondering if I'm hurting them without even realizing it.
I think it's the same way as when an infertile person has a friend/family member get pregnant, give birth, or even talk about the joys of parenthood. You don't wish they didn't have those things, and you want to be happy for their joys, but somehow you can't help but have a sting in your heart for what you don't have, or have lost.
I never want people to think I wasn't happy for those around me. That I was miserable and angry until I got what I wanted. Because that's not true. But many times it took much longer than before to get to that happiness. And thankfully I have very understanding, supportive friends/family who were willing to "deal" with me until I could reach that point.
I thank God for their grace and love. And I pray I never have to be in that spot again, where finding happiness doesn't come as easy. I pray I never have to put those I love in that spot again either, where they know how hard it is for me to get there. It's not fair to them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I'm so glad you made this post! I was starting to worry about you and your feelings about others who get pg easily! I've been a faithful reader of your blog for awhile now (every since a fellow nestie refered me to it), and I just wanted to say how refreshing it is to see a Christian finding God's glory in her daily life, without being scary. (You know what I mean) Every since your embies came into existance, I have prayed for you, Joey, and them. Now, I simply pray that you will enjoy a healthy and happy pg. God bless you for your faithfulness!
Very well put, Rach! This is something that everyone dealing with infertility struggles with and hopes to overcome, including me. Thankfully, we have a God whose grace is unlimited, whose love is boundless, and whose presence can bring joy in the worst of situations! If I didn't have God, I can't even imagine the mess I'd be!
Rachel,
I have been following your blog for awhile and I wanted to comment about the word fertile. I have never had a problem getting pg but I am VERY sensitive to people who do. I find the word fertile offensive if it being used to label me. Someone calling me a fertile makes me feel like I could never support someone going through IVF, like I could never understand the want or need for a baby and that is so far from the truth. I don't mind people saying the I am fertile but it is not who I am and it does not mean I won't be a good friend when someone needs one.
Erin,
The whole point of this post was to say that using a term like fertile or infertile is nothing other than to point out who's dealing with infertility and who isn't.
99.9% of the people in my life are fertile people (ie: fertile as in can reproduce easily), and every single one of them has supported us through our struggles...
I have never been able to effectively say everything you just said. So honest and so eloquent. Thank you. I hope you dont mind, but I want to link this post to my own blog, for my friends who've had to deal with me "not being able to get to that happy place" as easily as they (and I) expect me to.
Beautifully written, Rachel!
well written! I am curious as to what promtped it?
just cuz I am nosey.
And Erin, I also hate being called "a fertile"....=) It sounds so strange.
I love how God is just bringing you full circle in so many ways. I think its great that you can see (much less through the clouds now) how everyone has their own story, usually filled with struggles, bumps and hurts along the way that unless we've experienced it JUST like them, we cannot understand.
I also think I understand what Erin was saying -- that being called a "fertile" is maybe more offensive than saying, "Erin is fertile." Its something one has, not who someone is -- b/c the truth is, that could change after each pregnancy! Its like you're both saying the same thing, but on different ends of it.
Anyway, I love you! :)
Post a Comment