So my midwife informed me I had to find someone new in Chicago ASAP because sometimes drs/midwife's don't like to take patients after 12 weeks (Crazy right?)
Well I'm relieved to say I found someone 2 blocks from Joey's hospital and I'll deliver there and it'll be close for big appts ect.
But I'm sad to say I won't be having a midwife :-( If I wanted one I'd have to deliver at a different hospital and I'd have to be much further away from Joey's hospital.
Since I've seen my sister in labor and her midwife spoils her by being with her the whole labor I'm sad to only have a dr at the end... but I guess I do have my husband so he's a good substitute for a midwife ;-) .
But it still feels good to have the appt made! I'll be 14 weeks so that's 3 weeks from now! So I do feel good about that :-)
Ps... any thoughts on weather Joey should deliver the baby or not? Will I want him by my head? Or will I want him being down there?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
20 comments:
Definitely have him deliver! How cool would that be? Plus, you will have your sis there to record (I'm assuming) the birth so no need for Joey to record.
While it would be pretty cool to have your husband deliver your baby, I would think I would want my husband more in the husband role of coaching and encouraging. I don't think you can go wrong either way, really.
So does that mean he is going to be an OB/GYN then?
Dan was gonna deliver, but he was too emotional, and I wanted him to hold my hand! He may deliver our other kids though *God willing*
Susan, he'll be an Emergency Room Physician.
And we'd have an OB there.. but he/she wouldn't have to deliver.
I can understand your disappointment with the midwife situation not working out how you would have preferred - but I went the midwife route and she was not there during the delivery (in fact I saw 4 different midwifes throughout my labor/delivery). It was the nurses that were there that were AWESOME and took such great care of me. I think it's great that you'll be so close to Joey's hospital.
In regards to delivering or not . . . have to say either way has it's perks. You guys will discuss it and figure out what you feel is best for you.
Well, like I said, you can't go wrong either way! It will be such a special day, no matter what you guys decide :)
My two cents, when it comes right down to it, you probably just aren't going to care if he's at your head or "down there," you're going to be caring about where that baby is and you're going to want it OUT. Joey, however, may change his mind last minute -- either way, seeing his wife be in so much pain and the excitement of getting to see his baby (girl). :) (had to get that in there)
Though it would be cool to have your baby delivered by your husband, I think it's so much better to have him as your coach and cheerleader! He's right there cheering you on!! I loved having my DH right next to me when our DS was born and placed on my chest.
If you can't have a midwife and you're looking for support during the entire labor...consider hiring a doula!
If you ask Richie, he'll pretty much say he delivered Philip =) I think it was nice to have him so involved, even if it was "down there!"
Hi Rachel, I've always been a lurker, but have been following your story. It's wonderful and I'm so happy for you both.
My dad is an OBGYN, and he was always of the philosophy that another doctor should actually deliver the baby/administer the medical care. Of course, it is your choice, but I personally would want my doctor being the doctor, and my husband being the husband. It might totally get complicated if those boundaries are crossed. But that's just me!
I think Joey needs to be excited dad/awesome husband that day--not your doctor. It would be impossible for him to separate emotion from medical care
My brother delivered their third baby and he said he will never go back to standing up by my sister n law's head.... If he wants to deliver it, I say let him! (of course if you are comfortable!) My brother said it was the BEST experience and the pictures were awesome!!!
Good Luck!
Either way I think it would be wonderful, but for me I would probably want my husband, being my husband :-)He could always step in at the last minute and deliver.
My friend's hubby is a doctor and he makes it a very strict policy to never mix his job with his family. I kind of think that's a good idea, because it could be difficult to make unbias decisions that way. This is Joey's one time to be the beaming and excited husband and daddy!! It would be sad if he missed out on any of that role because he was so involved in the medical aspect of it. Plus, you may really just want the moral support from him up top! ;)
I totally understand and sympathize with not having a midwife. We moved when I was 3 months along and there are hardly any midwives where we are now, and the one that was the most recommended was booked. But, we can do our part by researching and reading and being as informed as we can. Will you have a doula? I am thinking about it!
Greg was a great coach. I couldn't have done it without him (and my sister) by my side.
I think if you are going to plan to have him do the delivery... have back up. That way if you just want him up by your head to help support you in anyway he can do it.
It would be wonderful if he delivered the baby, but it would be more awesome if he enjoyed the moment with you and be there as the husband. Of course the experience will be unforgetable either way. Good luck deciding =)
oh, totally have him deliver the baby! Bill LOVED doing it with Tuck! =)
Oh Rachel...I'm playing the devils advocate and I don't want to.. but what if Joey was delivering and something went wrong?? Maybe he could be more "involved" as long as all was going super smooth...you'll know at the time. Have a plan and then have an alternate plan...
Our system of doctors and midwives at deliveries sounds different than yours and I have had both. But with the last three the midwife delivered and my husband was the daddy and hubby. Although at my last little boy, the midwife was delivering two women at once and Geoffrey was feeling worried as our bub had potential breathing probs at delivery and they needed to be ready for emergency intervention, so Geoffrey was left checking the resus trolley and equipment because they knew he was a doctor (they kind of hung back more than they woud have if he hadn't been a doctor.) And he felt a lot of pressure to be a doctor when he was really wanting to be the daddy...I hope that all makes sense...
you'll know :)
I was really just thinking that it would be hard on him emotionally to see you so uncomfortable that he couldn't focus. This coming from a woman who doesn't even want her husband looking down there.... But, I think if you want him to deliver your first child, go for it!
Post a Comment