Okay, I got a call today from the dr's office saying Joey needs to have a SPA (no, not a luxury day filled with mud baths and cucumbers...). It's a sperm penetration assay, it will let them know if his sperm can penetrate an egg. They actually mix male sperm with hamster eggs (yes you read that right) to see if or how many are able to penetrate. Then they can properly send you to the correct treatments. Don't worry, the egg can't further develop with human sperm in it so we won't have little half Joey's half hamsters running around! (I'm not really ready to commit to another animal anyway right now.)
Moving on...here's the thing, we were told (by the Cambridge clinic) that Joey has fantastic sperm... but apparently after our RE's office getting their hands on it for the IUI, they saw abnormalities... something like 4% instead of 10% desired morph. (These #'s don't mean much to me, I might have them wrong).
Like an idiot I called Joey right away at work to tell him to schedule the test (he will need to do it ASAP so if IUI#1 fails, we'll know weather to proceed with IUI#2 or not). Well I forget that people who don't work in their pj's all day at home, might not like getting "Bad" news while at work. I think he's feeling very frustrated and was told that our Dr would call him personally so they could discuss it.
I personally don't feel too moved by the news, I actually felt a twinge of relief knowing what the problem might be! Of course if there are issues, we'll know that IUI's will be a waste of our time, so we'd probably turn to adoption earlier... but still I think this will be hard on Joey.
All I know is that if we had found this out 4 months ago, I might not have dealt with it very well. I might have felt frustrated at Joey that we weren't getting pregnant. And of course I would never want him to feel blame! So I praise God that He brought me to this place before He might be revealing this news to us.
I'm hoping he can schedule the appt for either tomorrow or Monday because they have to hold the sperm for 3 days before the perform the test.
Anyways, that's our update!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
That's what we were dealing with, too. Well, actually our male factor was severe AND I have my own issues, but maybe it's a good thing that you're finding out now and not four months ago.
Here's to hoping they can get those spermies as powerful as possible:)
I remember when my DH was diagnosed with low sperm count...he was in total denial and didn't want to discuss it with me in the least. Guys have such a different way of handling things. Hopefully once the dust has settled, he'll be able to talk it out.
Post a Comment