It's not like I've ever been a huge Dr. Phil fan... his accent and the way he speaks just makes him sound less creditable... but I've never had any reason to dislike him!
Well today he did a show on "desperate to become a mother" and it showcased 3 different couples:
Couple a: he had kids and they planned on no kids and now she's baby crazy and wants to change his mine.
Couple b: they're trying and he doesn't want to go in debt but it's their only way and it's tearing them apart.
Couple c: they're going through their 5th IVF... hoping it'll work.
Okay, so we mostly identify with couple c as we're completely in this together and clearly willing to go into debt to have a baby.
Anyways couple a would have to have a reverse vasectomy in order to even get pg (and he's 48!!!). And apparently 15 years ago Dr. Phil had one himself. And this was his quote:
"they told me I'd have a 50% chance of being fertile within a year and a half! 6 weeks later we were pregnant..... my boys got the job done!" (all cocky like as I'm sure you can imagine.)
I could not feel anymore abused by this statement. What does this mean? Does it mean that my husband can't get the job done? That my husband isn't as manly as Dr. Phil because we aren't pregnant? What does this mean for us?!?!
Now I know Dr. Phil didn't look into the screen and say to ME personally "I'm trying to hurt you by making this statement" But for crying out loud there were infertile couples on the show!!!! How much less sensitive could he be?!?!
So this is my statement. If you are NOT infertile... and your husband EVER boasts about his sperm... PLEASE, I beg you, PLEASE in private encourage him to think about those that might be around him dealing with MF and how it might make them feel (and you never know who's dealing with it unless they're a crazy blogger like me!).
It's crushing and hurtful and just plain stupid. No one did anything to deserve to be fertile or deserve to be infertile. So it's so hurtful when people act like they did anything right, because that would negate that my husband is doing wrong!
So that's what I would say to Dr. Phil if I had a chance. If he's running a show on infertility he better get some more sensitivity!
ps. this is not in any way a means to speak to anyone in our lives... it's truly just a general statement! :-) so no emails saying "was this me?" hee hee. cuz it wasn't! :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Augh, I can't stand that man. What an ignorant statement to make!
Please write him!
His ACCENT makes you view him as not very credible? Wow, stereotpyical much?
I know that our medical condition is not MF , but i have PCOS and do not ovulate without meds. Therefore my "girls" can never get a job done on their own. And hearing about his "boys" is just offensive to me. How shortsighted of him!
oh my gosh I'm deleting comments like crazy! That wasn't on purpose!
I wrote this whole rant about how I never said anything about his accent and how it was only the WAY he says things, and the WAY he talks to people that bothers me (as I did do some of my growing up in the south....) but then I went back to re-read the post and realized like an idiot I DID post about his accent! But please understand I didn't actually mean his accent.. I was very tired when I posted this and it's not his accent that bothers me.. it's just the way he says things. Anyways, some of my best friends have southern accent and at one point I did as well..
I've never been a fan.
Ignore people who want to come to YOUR blog and criticize you! I just read an interview with Christina Aguilera where she went on about how easy it was for her to get pregnant. I wanted to throw the magazine out the window. People just don't understand what it's like to be where we are. I agree with a previous poster, I would write to his show and let it be known how insentive his comments are - even if he doesn't realize it.
I hate Dr. Phil......everytime I read or see something of his.....it just irks me. IGNORANT!!!!
Post a Comment