I'm not actually talking about the book, though I did start reading it a few years ago and have always wanted to finish it, but I like the title.
I've been thinking about grace a lot lately and it's something I've been praying for a lot more in my life.
I do not have a lot of grace (or patience, or tolerance, or compassion, just to name a few of my good qualities!).
Seriously these are areas that I lack in and am ALWAYS trying to work on. The three I named later more so than grace, but now I'm starting to realize that it all starts with grace.
What is grace? The Websters dictionary defines it as "unmerited divine assistance".
Unmerited.
It's a time that God or others shows us kindness, compassion, or forgiveness in a time when we don't deserve it.
And sadly I admit to not having a lot of this. Very sad.
But as I've been praying about this and asking God to help me grow in this area, I've been reliving many times I've been shown grace through my life. There are countless times, starting with my parents who showed me grace many times as a child, teenager, and even a growing adult when I didn't certainly didn't deserve it.
And then through dealing with IF. Oy. So many times. So many people.
My cousin Mary was the first person close to me to become pregnant after we outed our IF struggles. Literally I got the call just days after I asked my close family members to start praying for us. It was hard. Really hard. I wanted to deal with the situation well, but my flesh stepped in. And I prayed hard through the process but I know I wounded her and had to go back later and ask for forgiveness. I couldn't be happy for her when I should have. Period.
How did my cousin respond? She started reading books about IF at work when she was slow. She would email me or IM me and tell me about a part that made her weep and how sad she was for me through this process. Every time I would get enough courage to ask her questions about her pregnancy, she would briefly answer the questions and get right back to me and how I was doing.
That's Grace. I didn't deserve it. Not one bit.
My sister. My sister got pg with her third child the month after we started trying (the first month I thought I was pg- period 2 weeks late! but wasn't and was extremely sad and felt all the more desperate to get pg). She then went on to have her baby and was able to get pg again in the time we were trying. It wasn't a pretty time in my life. Through this process, it was rock bottom.
Sad isn't it? My sister being pregnant (with my beautiful nephew who I love and adore) was my rock bottom.
My blog entry about it wasn't pretty. And my reaction was even worse. She told me in person and I left my house went out in the garage and sobbed and sobbed and finally told Joey I needed her to leave. I still loved my sister whole heartedly, but I was aching at the very core. And for the first time I was angry at God for allowing me to be going through this process.
My sister left me alone for a few days, which I now know were agonizing for her, to let me process it.
Only a few days later God showed me grace by allowing me to heal seemingly overnight. I didn't deserve it, my behavior and selfishness were inexcusable, if I were Him, I would have walked away from me! (I guess it's best I stick to not being God ha?) But He is beautiful and loving and wants nothing but the best for me. So He carried me (very quickly) through it.
Then he allowed my sister to show me grace. She was so wonderful and accepting an GRACIOUS of me when I could finally come back to her and seek her forgiveness, tell her I loved her, and that I was happy for her.
I know in her flesh she struggled greatly with this process. That I couldn't be happy for her and I could allow something so exciting for her to sink to me to an all time low, how horrible to be on her end of that. And how unfair.
And yet she showed me grace.
Because of Melissa's grace, it was merely a bump in the road for us.
Amazingly hitting rock bottom was good for me, because then we started moving up!
But as I've been thinking about some of these times (and many others) where I was shown grace, I have to ask myself if I would have been as wonderful on their side of it as they were to me.
I think the answer is probably no. So I guess it's best I was the one dealing with IF huh? :-)
I 100% want that to change. With everything I am I want to please God, I want to shed my pride and I want to show others grace. It's a slow process, but we're working on it, and I think the first step is recognizing how many ways others have served me by showing me grace, when I really just deserved a swift kick in the rear :-).
To those mentioned in this entry, and those not (but know that you're in this category!), THANK YOU. Thank you for putting up with me so graciously through this process. For being my support and praying for me constantly. ESPECIALLY when I didn't deserve it.
I strive to be like you and I know it's God's hope for me to get there! One day I will.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
24 comments:
Miss Mary totally impressed me when you told me she was reading books in IF! She is AN AMAZING expample of so many things...one obviously IS grace!!
The wonderful thing is that once we tell God we are sick and tired of whatever is "ailing" us...he cracks his knuckles and begins his work! =)
you are a beautiful soul my sister!
July 4th will mark 1 year since we started trying to have a baby. It has been a trying year to say the least. Someone close to me is pregnant, due in 2 months and I am still praying and still struggling to have the grace to deal in the best way I know how.
BTW, the video of Trigg's birth brought tears to my eyes. You are so talented!
thank you for sharing this, Rachel. I wish I had the words to tell you how badly I needed to read it at this very moment.
April, I started crying when I read your response. It is my greatest hope that we didn't go through this in vain. That I will allow God to continue to use our pain of IF to help others. He is so big and I praise Him for using me, when I am nobody.
And I praise Him for giving this to you at the right time.
This is beautiful and very timely for me. I feel that I lack this grace a lot too.
I remember reading that post for the first time last summer and just losing it - not even coming close to understanding your pain, but knowing how awful it must be, given how close you are to your sister.
You've done it to me again as well, and I have an important meeting in 10 mins! My eyes need to dry!
This struggle has not been in vain.
I just want to say how much this entry threw me on my knees.... Four months after we lost our first baby (ectopic) my sister announced she was pregnant in front of our whole family at Easter. My heart tore at the seams... I was devastated and had the same reaction as you, I walked outside and just sobbed, but then I had to make it through the rest of dinner...
Two months after that we lost our second baby (ectopic) and four weeks later my sister in law announced her pregnancy...
Grace is something I feel like I will never have... I hurt so much and at times I am still so angry...
Thank you for your honesty... today it brought me to tears, but more importantly it brought me to my knees..
I find it amazing that your blog about your sis's pregnancy was exactly 1 year ago today. Look at how far God has brought you and how faithful he has been!
Oh my gosh Jason you're right! I didn't even notice that!
I've read your blog since the beginning (well, not real time, but I caught myself up) and I am amazed at your growth. Thank you for sharing this with us. I know it isn't easy to point out our own flaws, and you do it so honestly and openly. Like April, I too needed to hear this very thing.
And it was one year ago that I was very ungracious and ignorant to you. I want to tell you that I'm sorry for the comment I left and that I obviously I had no idea what I was talking about. I thiknk I was stunned by the bitterness I felt in your post. I know I had no right to judge you or your feelings. I read through your adoption heartbreak and know that it was no easy fix (like my comment made it sound). I'm very happy for you and your husband (as much as a stranger can be for another stranger!) and want to say thank you for opening people's eyes with your story. Best of luck with the baby- btw, my guess is girl!
Rach you and your sis encourage me more than you'll ever know. I seriously thank God for finding your blog, even when you're down, upset, tired, frustrated, you always find your way back to trusting in God. That's awesome. This post has totally encouraged me! Thanks for sharing. moni
p.s. I think that is so cool that your cousin Mary read books on IF!! SOOO sweet!!!
Rachel, thank you for writing this. I needed to read it. Next month it will be 2 yrs of TTC for us. 2 months ago, on the day we found out our 2nd IUI had failed, we found out that my brother in law's 19 yr old girlfriend of only a few months is pregnant. I was SO heartbroken, and in shock for quite a while. I'm struggling with anger at the Lord and at her for getting PG when I can't. I've been in prayer, I want to love my new little nephew and I know I will. Reading that I was/am not the only one who has gone through this and knowing that the Lord has carried you through, is so very encouraging to me.
-Rebekah (RebRDH)
Lucy I had completely forgotten about that! Had I not been so angry about our circumstances at the moment I'm sure I would have taken your comment much differently!
All is forgiven :-)
Rachel,
What can I say? I somewhat disagree with your blog. But do I still love reading your blog and think you are the cutest person ever and so excited about your pregnancy..? Yes! However...our amazing, most loving God, made us human!! Not machines! Next month on the 29th will be exactly two years that my husband and I have been struggling with IF. It sucks! The emotion that I think you felt when all your family and friends were getting pregnant around you was kind of a jealousy feeling. Am I right? That’s the feeling that I feel when all the pregnancy stuff happens to other people besides me. But for some reason, I don’t feel like I need to ask my friends forgiveness and pray to the Lord for Grace and forgiveness. I am human for crying out loud. God gave me these feelings. And I guess I wish you weren’t so hard on yourself as well. I call it my 50/50 thing. I’m 50% a happy for my friends and 50% sad that it isn ‘t me. I know that sucks too. I AM very happy for my friends and I do not feel that they have been hurt by me one bit. I have one co-worker right now who is about 11 weeks along and we talk about HER all the time. It’s never, “Poor Leanne”. I just think its ok to have feelings. I pray for patience all the time. I know one day my time will come to be a mom (and one day that plan will call you mommy) But I don’t pray for Him to take away feelings that He gave me. :-/
Krzygrl,
I can't say I had the 50/50 thing. (But good way to look at it!) Mine was always 100% sadness for me. It took me a long time to reach happiness for many people. And I didn't ask everyone for forgiveness, as I don't think I hurt everyone. But my sister and my cousin are very close to me and I DID hurt them. And I know that.
Others I could deal with in my own way and some people might not have even known what I was going through.
I don't think I'm hard on myself ever.. I think I'm just really honest with where I need growth :-)
I spend very little time thinking I should be a better person, I just know I have tons of room for growth.
I have seen the growth in you. I am overjoyed but not surprised. I believe in you and I know God loves you even more than I do. He has been with you gently guiding you all along.
Even though we did not understand the wait- or know what the outcome would eventually be, I have always believed He had a perfect plan for you & Joey.
I know the heartache so many of your bloggers continue to experience, so I hesitate to share this -but for me it was life changing so I'll risk it.
Many years ago I struggled with depression. I didn't go thru infertility but a different kind of struggle. I felt like I was drowning and the more I fought, the more I was going down.
I believed in God the entire time. I knew He could do anything He wanted to. I did not believe I was angry at Him.
But, if God could do anything He wanted, if He loves me so much, why wasn't He do something to change my circumstances??? No one else had that kind of power? Certainly not my family or friends. So who was left to be mad at -but Him?
Realizing God was my problem brought me to a place where I had to face who I was and who He is. God is God. I am not. This left me two choices. Believe He loves me and has the best plan for me - or He doesn't.
Strangely this gave me a peace beyond comprehension. A peace that came in spite of my circumstance. And when they did change- it was all the sweeter because I had trusted His love for me with no idea if they ever would.
Rachel,
I'm not sure how much I've mentioned it, but this blog still means so much to me. Not only because I have followed it for quite some time and I'm just ubber excited we are BOTH having babies, but that I can learn from you.
I have a VERY high feeling and it's quite likely that my cousin will be dealing with IF (and she is, but not 'officially'). She has been trying to become pregnant for about 8 months or so and to no avail. I'm just heartbroken for her. She handles it well, and when I ask her to be as truthful with me as she possibly can (we are really close and hardly no one knows that they really are trying) she just acts likes it's a pain but she knows all things work together for good and that she's just trusting God. She hasn't turned to any testing, but she talks about it occasionally. I think she's handling my pregnancy well, but I'm not sure how much longer. I wonder quite often what will it be like if I'm pregnant again and she's still not. That's when I get really broken for her. I love her and I'm learning alot from you to help her. It's like, she's you, I'm your sis.
My heart breaks and I just pray, thanks for your blog. ~Blessings~
Rachel, what a beautiful entry. The most wonderful thing about grace is that it's free, given to us by a gracious God who wants nothing in exchange. This reminds me of the verse "my grace is sufficient enough for you."
Just wanted to add another great book on grace is "Transforming Grace" by Jerry Bridges. My dad gave this to me one Christmas and it changed my entire perception of the goodness of God's grace and unfailing love.
Honestly, one thing that really helps me in the hard times when I'm dealing with things that are beyond my control (as all things truly are) is to remember that it is okay to be angry with God - He can handle it and will love me through it. Sometimes admiting that we are angry at God before asking for grace, helps us to get through it and to not turn that anger on the other people around us who are not in control of the situation any more than we are.
Thanks for all of your writing. I haven't faced IF, but your story inspires me through my own faith journey.
Well written and it's neat that you gave credit to Miss & Mary! We all have things that we need to grow in thanks for sharing yours!
Beautiful post...and a reminder that I have someone in my life whom I owe an apology to for my lack of grace when she shared her pregnancy news. Thanks.
Thanks Rae. I've told you this but I do think you are very compassionate!
Post a Comment